Few gifts will excite your child more than a mini bike. But before you buy, it’s important to know the substantial difference between electric and gas-powered mini bikes.
The last thing you want, after investing in a bike, is for you or your child to be unhappy with it. Especially since you probably won’t reach this conclusion until it’s too late to return it.
Do you know which is best for you and your child? That’s ok because we do!
Both bikes have certain advantages that make them the best choice depending on your needs. We’ll list these advantages here in this guide so you can compare for yourself. Keep reading to find out if a gas or electric mini bike is the right choice for your child.
Advantages of a Gas Mini Bike
To be honest, there’s a reason gas-powered mini bikes are more expensive. It’s because they have the most performance advantages in most situations.
The internal combustion engines of gas bikes are much more powerful than electric mini bike motors. They are faster and more durable than electric bikes. If you are buying a mini bike for racing, gas bikes are the only choice.
They can also run all day long, provided you have fuel handy. With electric bikes, you only have a few hours until the battery runs out. Then you have to wait hours for it to charge up again.
With a gas bike, there’s no need to interrupt the fun. If you’re running on empty, simply fill ‘er up and you’re good to go again. This is especially good news if you are camping in the woods or otherwise nowhere near an electric power source.
Bottom line: if you need a bike that’s fast, can run all day in remote areas, and can take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’, pony up the extra cash for a gas bike.
Advantages of an Electric Mini Bike
Now, hopefully, we didn’t dissuade you from thinking there’s any reason to buy electric. Truth is, there are several reasons to get an electric bike instead of gas.
Firstly, the main advantage is that electric bikes are cheaper. If you don’t have money for a gas bike, you take what you can get right? And you don’t have to keep paying for gas!
Plus, they are better for the environment. They don’t just reduce air pollution but noise pollution, too. Electric bikes are much quieter than gas bikes.
This can be an important deciding factor. Gas bikes are very loud, too loud for some areas.
Certain neighborhoods or nearby wildlife preservation areas may prohibit the use of loud gas bikes. Before you decide on a gas bike, make sure you check local sound pollution laws.
At full charge, electric bikes can be as powerful as gas bikes. And they’re a little more kid-friendly. There’s no messy fuel, no pull-start, and no engine tweaks or smog checks necessary.
Bottom line: electric bikes are cheaper, greener, quieter, easier.
Choose Wisely… And Enjoy!
By now you should be able to tell whether a gas or electric mini bike is best for your needs. But here is the main breakdown.
A gas bike is better for power, durability, and definitely for racing. And electric bikes are better for less expensive, quieter fun. Which one is best for you depends mostly on these factors.
And now here are some to top Gas Mini Bikes followed by the Best Electric Mini Bikes.
Best Gas Mini Bikes
- 4 stroke OHV 1 cylinder - 196cc/6.5hp engine
- Easy pull start operation; Low pressure tires for soft ride
- Sturdy metal frame. Load capacity 200 pounds and clearance 5.5 inches
- Rear Drum - handle operated braking system
- Does not include racks
- Proudly Assembled in Ruston, LA USA!
- 80cc 2.5 HP four stroke heavy duty overhead valve (OHV) gas engine with automatic no-shift centrifugal force clutch
- Hand operated cable actuated rear disc Brake. Rugged, reinforced frame & adjustable handlebars
- Built to last: with a powder coated gusset reinforced welded tube Steel frame and tough no-dent polypropylene fenders, our mini bike is durably constructed and ready for the rugged Outdoors.
- Super Grip Tires-14.0X5.7R6.0 Off-Road Tubeless Pneumatic Tires with Steel Rims. Also available in the Monster Moto Muddy Girl, American Flag & Phantom Flame Color Schemes.
- Minimum recommended age: 12 year-age
- Features standard with front & rear disc brakes and large 11 inch pneumatic street tires
- Max. rider weight: 165 lbs; Max Speed18 mph; Transmission: chain drive
- Motor: 40CC 4 Stroke EPA Approval; Fuel/Oil: >#90; Gas Tank: 1.2 liters; Cruising Range: 42 km per tank
- Overall Dimension: (L x W x H) 40" x 18.5" x 22.8"
- Motorcycle, kids toys, gas riding, 4 Stroke gas pocket bike
- Seat Height: 18 inches, Gas Tank: 1.2 liters
- Pocket Bike Size: 40 x 20 x 21inches, Transmission: chain drive
- Max Rider Weight: 150lbs, Tires: 90/65-6.5 Pneumatic (11 inch)
- Max Speed:18mph
- POWERFUL, AFFORDABLE & EASY TO OPERATE - Arrives to your doorstep pre-assembled - add some gas, attach the handle bars and you'll be on your way. Trouble-free set up and built to last!
- BIGGER & BETTER THAN IT'S COUNTERPARTS - Strong 200cc four-stroked, air-cooled engine surpasses virtually any other mini bike on the market. This deluxe-sized mini bike effortlessly accommodates teens and adults up to 200 lbs! Forget about all of your constant refueling worries because this bike has a large capacity fuel tank!
- COMFORT, STYLE & FREEBIES - Dual front suspension cushions the ride while the large and wide off-road tires increase ground clearance and improve traction. Classic looks paired with an easy usability make this mini bike an American legend.
- SAFETY MEASURES - Chain guard, exhaust heat shield, engine stop switch.
- WARRANTY - All Massimo MB200 Mini Bikes come with a 6-month PARTS ONLY warranty.
Best Electric Mini Bikes
- Scaled down, battery-powered electric moto-cross dirt bike for off-road riding
- Super quiet, single speed, chain driven motor with a twist grip throttle control
- Large knobby tires; hand operated rear brake and battery life is up to 30 min
- Speeds up to 14 miles per hour with no pedaling needed!
- Designed for ages 13 and up; 90-day warranty
- Simple to set up: Tool kit included. Just attach the handlebars, charge the battery pack and go!
- Easy to charge: Comes w/ charger, connects directly to the e-Mini fully charges battery pack in 5 hrs. Always know your charge level with the charge status indicator mounted on the handlebars!
- Built to last: With a powder coated welded tube steel frame and tough no-dent polypropylene fenders, our electric mini bike is durably constructed and ready for the rugged outdoors.
- Safety first: With a safety speed limiter switch that toggles between 7 and 11 mph, our e-Mini was built with safety in mind.
- What's in the box-Monster Moto Classic Electric Mini Bike. Charger, Tool kit, hardware required to assemble the unit. Owner's Manual. Certificate of Origin. Pink and red decal sets.
- Compact electric motocross bike with powerful 650-watt electric motor
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 17 mph; authentic dirt bike frame geometry
- Dual suspension and riser handlebars deliver smooth, comfortable ride
- Pneumatic knobby tires for maximum power transfer; quiet variable-speed, chain-driven motor
- Recommended for ages 16 and older (220-pound weight limit); 90-day warranty
- Inspired by the winningest motocross rider in history, Jeremy McGrath!
- Complete with authentic McGrath graphics and fairing design, genuine dirt bike frame geometry and a high-torque, variable speed motor for a super-charged experience
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 15 mph with 40 minutes of continuous use
- Features dual suspension and riser handlebars, large pneumatic knobby tires, retractable kickstand, and hand operated dual disc brakes
- Recommended for ages 14 and up; supports riders up to 175 pounds
- 10 MPH & 10 MILE RANGE - The motorized bicycle uses a 36v battery & a 250-watt motor that charges in 2.5 hours.
- COLLAPSES FOR EASY STORAGE - The folding bike uses an aerospace grade aluminum frame & easily fits in trunks of all sizes.
- HANDLEBAR DISPLAY - Check battery life, turn on the headlight, honk the horn, accelerate, & brake all from the handlebars.
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICES ON THE GO - A micro USB charging port enables you to charge your devices while you ride.
- ZERO EMISSIONS - The eco-friendly Swagger is 100% electric & emissions free, saving both your wallet & the environment.
For more information, check out our full electric bike guide here.
Last update on 2018-08-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API