Few gifts will excite your child more than a mini bike. But before you buy, it’s important to know the substantial difference between electric and gas-powered mini bikes.
The last thing you want, after investing in a bike, is for you or your child to be unhappy with it. Especially since you probably won’t reach this conclusion until it’s too late to return it.
Do you know which is best for you and your child? That’s ok because we do!
Both bikes have certain advantages that make them the best choice depending on your needs. We’ll list these advantages here in this guide so you can compare for yourself. Keep reading to find out if a gas or electric mini bike is the right choice for your child.
Advantages of a Gas Mini Bike
To be honest, there’s a reason gas-powered mini bikes are more expensive. It’s because they have the most performance advantages in most situations.
The internal combustion engines of gas bikes are much more powerful than electric mini bike motors. They are faster and more durable than electric bikes. If you are buying a mini bike for racing, gas bikes are the only choice.
They can also run all day long, provided you have fuel handy. With electric bikes, you only have a few hours until the battery runs out. Then you have to wait hours for it to charge up again.
With a gas bike, there’s no need to interrupt the fun. If you’re running on empty, simply fill ‘er up and you’re good to go again. This is especially good news if you are camping in the woods or otherwise nowhere near an electric power source.
Bottom line: if you need a bike that’s fast, can run all day in remote areas, and can take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’, pony up the extra cash for a gas bike.
Advantages of an Electric Mini Bike
Now, hopefully, we didn’t dissuade you from thinking there’s any reason to buy electric. Truth is, there are several reasons to get an electric bike instead of gas.
Firstly, the main advantage is that electric bikes are cheaper. If you don’t have money for a gas bike, you take what you can get right? And you don’t have to keep paying for gas!
Plus, they are better for the environment. They don’t just reduce air pollution but noise pollution, too. Electric bikes are much quieter than gas bikes.
This can be an important deciding factor. Gas bikes are very loud, too loud for some areas.
Certain neighborhoods or nearby wildlife preservation areas may prohibit the use of loud gas bikes. Before you decide on a gas bike, make sure you check local sound pollution laws.
At full charge, electric bikes can be as powerful as gas bikes. And they’re a little more kid-friendly. There’s no messy fuel, no pull-start, and no engine tweaks or smog checks necessary.
Bottom line: electric bikes are cheaper, greener, quieter, easier.
Choose Wisely… And Enjoy!
By now you should be able to tell whether a gas or electric mini bike is best for your needs. But here is the main breakdown.
A gas bike is better for power, durability, and definitely for racing. And electric bikes are better for less expensive, quieter fun. Which one is best for you depends mostly on these factors.
And now here are some to top Gas Mini Bikes followed by the Best Electric Mini Bikes.
Best Gas Mini Bikes
- POWERUL - The 4 stroke OHV 1 cylinder - 98cc/3.0HP engine will power you through the trails all day with plenty of muscle while being fuel efficient
- EASY AND SMOOTH - Easy pull start operation, and Low-pressure tires provide a soft, smooth ride for stability even on rugged terrain. In addition, rear drum break allows for reliable stopping
- TOUGH - Built with a rugged, proven clutch and a solid, sturdy metal frame, this heavy-duty mini bike will withstand years of fun on the trail so you can go kick some dirt
- FUN FOR ALL - Load capacity is 150 pounds and clearance is 5.5 inches
- Recommended for ages 13+
- 49cc 2-Stroke gas bike provides a strong kick out of this bike.
- Created with high quality material for handling all types of tough situations
- Strong front and rear disk brake allows maximum control over the bike whenever needed
- Recommended age of rider is 13 years old and up. Maximum weight capacity is 128 lbs
- EPA certified parts
- Proudly Assembled in Ruston, LA USA!
- 80cc 2.5 HP four stroke heavy duty overhead valve (OHV) gas engine with automatic no-shift centrifugal force clutch
- Hand operated cable actuated rear disc Brake. Rugged, reinforced frame & adjustable handlebars
- Built to last: with a powder coated gusset reinforced welded tube Steel frame and tough no-dent polypropylene fenders, our mini bike is durably constructed and ready for the rugged Outdoors.
- Super Grip Tires-14.0X5.7R6.0 Off-Road Tubeless Pneumatic Tires with Steel Rims. Also available in the Monster Moto Muddy Girl, American Flag & Phantom Flame Color Schemes.
- Proudly Assembled in Ruston, LA USA! For the KID in all of us Adults!
- Conquer the outdoors with our not-so-mini, 212CC Mini Bike. Bigger & beefier, seat height is at 26", easily accommodates adults up to 200 LBs! Simple to set up and built to last.
- Powerful 212CC 7.5 HP 4 Stroke Heavy Duty Overhead Valve (OHV) Gas Engine with Automatic no shift Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Easy to handle: The mini bike's large comfortable seat, oversized pneumatic tires and motorcycle style throttle ensure a great ride.
- Built to last: With a powder coated gusset reinforced welded tube steel frame and tough no-dent polypropylene fenders, our mini bike is durably constructed and ready for the rugged outdoors
- Motorcycle, kids toys, gas riding, 4 Stroke gas pocket bike
- Seat Height: 18 inches, Gas Tank: 1.2 liters
- Pocket Bike Size: 40 x 20 x 21inches, Transmission: chain drive
- Max Rider Weight: 150lbs, Tires: 90/65-6.5 Pneumatic (11 inch)
- Max Speed:18mph
Best Electric Mini Bikes
- Scaled down, battery-powered electric moto-cross dirt bike for off-road riding
- Super quiet, single speed, chain driven motor with a twist grip throttle control
- Large knobby tires; hand operated rear brake and battery life is up to 30 min
- Speeds up to 14 miles per hour with no pedaling needed!
- Designed for ages 13 and up; 90-day warranty
- Simple to set up: Tool kit included. Just attach the handlebars, charge the battery pack and go!
- Easy to charge: Comes w/ charger, connects directly to the e-Mini fully charges battery pack in 5 hrs. Always know your charge level with the charge status indicator mounted on the handlebars!
- Built to last: With a powder coated welded tube steel frame and tough no-dent polypropylene fenders, our electric mini bike is durably constructed and ready for the rugged outdoors.
- Safety first: With a safety speed limiter switch that toggles between 7 and 11 mph, our e-Mini was built with safety in mind.
- What's in the box-Monster Moto Classic Electric Mini Bike. Charger, Tool kit, hardware required to assemble the unit. Owner's Manual. Certificate of Origin. Pink and red decal sets.
- Robust and foldable; the e bike's sturdy frame can support up to 264 pounds and collapse its stem and handlebars for easy storage
- Extreme torque; tackle speeds up to 18 mph via app optimization and climb inclines up to 12 degrees on a powerful zero emission motor
- Long lasting charge; a single charge lets you traverse up to 15.5 miles of thrilling adventures and new discoveries
- App control; connect your iOS or Android with the SwagCycle 2 app to track your trip, speed, GPS location, and more
- USB port; plug your mobile devices into the electric bike's USB port to stay fully charged wherever you go
- Scaled-down electric motocross bike with powerful 500-watt electric motor
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 15 mph; authentic dirt bike frame geometry
- Dual suspension and riser handlebars deliver smooth, comfortable ride
- Large pneumatic knobby tires for maximum power transfer; retractable kickstand
- Recommended for ages 14 and older (175-pound weight limit); 90-day warranty
- Easily transforms from scooter to mini bike
- Height-adjustable handlebar with thumb-control throttle
- Lever-activated disc brake for optimum braking performance
- 100W DC motor with chain drive that speeds up to 10 mph
For more information, check out our full electric bike guide here.
Last update on 2019-02-22 at 09:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API