If you are like me, you have probably wondered : “how does a solar generator work ?”. This post and this info graphic will give you a good overview of what goes into a solar generator. If getting into the weeds about the innards of a solar generator does not really interest you, you might like to read about the different types of solar generators available in the market. Solar Panel kits might also be a solution for your needs. But for those of you interested in the answer to our original question; how does a solar generator work?, we have to ask a few more questions.
How does a solar generator work : what is a solar generator?
A solar generator is a compact electronic box which has three components integrated together. There is the charge controller, batteries and an inverter. Strangely thought there is no solar component in the solar generator. The solar panels need to be purchased separately. In reality, the solar generator is just a battery powered generator. As long as the battery inside the solar generator stays charged, it will be able to power a slew of devices as a backup generator. You can charge the battery in the generator using external solar panels, or using a wall outlet ( regular 110 V) or even a char charger. Of course, not all solar generators are created equal and some of them might only allow one or two modes of charging.
The Solar generator is able to provide output power to a wide variety of devices. It can power smart phones, laptops, lights, a small refrigerator, a ham radio etc. They usually provide outlets for 110V devices like your laptop or usb ports for your phones or car charger outlets for devices which runs off them. This is an excellent calculator which lets you size your solar generator or estimate what you can possible use with your solar generator. And onwards to the next big question.
How does a solar generator work : what is inside a solar generator?
The three components within a solar generator are the charge controller, batteries and the inverter. They are not necessarily separate, they are usually well integrated. Some of the more convenient solar generators allow you to swap the batteries. This is really good for longevity as over time batteries tend to degrade and poof there goes your solar generator to the junk yard.
The charge controller is a critical component of the solar generator. It protects and ensures the longevity of the in built battery inside the solar generator. Depending on the type of battery, AGM, Gel or Lithium ion, they will have different characteristics for charging and discharging. The charge controller ensures this is automatically taken care off.
The inverter actually converts the output of the battery into AC power that can be used to power any AC device. Of course Solar generators are not built to power large AC appliances like AC’s, but they do just fine for electronics, TV’s and low powered household devices. To understand what can actually be powered using a solar generator, you will need to read this article on different types of solar generators.
The three components when integrated together result in a well designed solar generator like the YETI 150 shown above. You can ready more about this generator here as well. And of course to round up this master class on the solar generator, you have the solar panels. Solar panels are mostly sold separately, though there are some rather innovative but smaller solar generators which have built in solar panels like the Renogy Firefly Solar Generator.
That should have given you a good overview to answer your original question : How does a solar generator work? Of course if you are hungry for more information, you can read more about the latest solar generators available today in the market right here :
- AC/DC/USB Outputs: (2x) AC outlet (max 100W, peak power 150W); (4 x) DC port (15A / 180W max); (1x) QC3.0 USB port (18W max); (3x) USB ports (10.5W max); charges or powers products such as laptops, phones, tablets, cameras, drones, CPAP machine, small home appliances and more
- On-the-Go Power Source: 150Wh (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh) powerful charging station for camping or emergency backup; probably the most compact power station with a size of 7.3*4.3*4.7 inch, and the weight is only 2.9 lbs; 2 hideable lift handles make it even more portable
- Efficient Solar Generator: connect a solar panel (not included) and S270 Power Station via DC 3.5X1.35 to MC4 connector (included), it can be a silent and gas-free solar generator; with MPPT solar charge controller inside, the unit can be charged much more efficiently
- Triple Input Modes: (1) can be recharged by connecting to SUAOKI 60W, 100W solar panel (SOLD SEPARATELY); (2) can be fully charged in 8 hours by being plugged into wall outlet; (3) can also be charged by plugging into your car 12V socket. (Car charger included)
- Perfect Emergency Tool: battery management system (BMS) enables voltage control, temperature control and more advanced safety operations, ensuring ultra-safety for you and your devices; can also works as a torch for emergency lighting; 18 months warranty and friendly customer service
- POWERFUL AC, USB AND 12V OUTPUTS KEEP ALL YOUR DEVICES CHARGED UP: Whether you're looking to keep iPhone, iPad, laptop, DSLR camera charged up, or running lights, CPAP machine and small appliances in an off-grid or power outage, the Paxcess portable power station features a variety of outputs, including 3* 12V DC port(max 180W,with an extra cigarette socket cable) / 2* 110V AC outlet inverter(modified sine wave, max 100W) / 2* USB 5V port, to ensure you have the power you need at any time
- EASILY RECHARGED FROM SUN, WALL OUTLET OR CAR: No matter where you go, keep Paxcess portable generator charged through 3 easy ways: Simply use the included AC adapter from wall outlet to charge up the Paxcess generator in 7-8 hours. On the go, use Paxcess 50w solar panel to charge it from the power of the sun and works as a portable solar generator(The compatible solar panel is sold separatly). Lastly, charging while on-the-road is easy with the included 12V car charger cable.
- CLEAN ADN PORTABLE POWER, NO GASOLINE REQUIRED: Since there's no gasoline required and no toxic fumes, the Paxcess generator is completely safe to use inside your house, tent, and car. It's also silent which makes it the perfect generator alternative to have on hand for any event; Only weights 3.3lbs and ideal size for traveling, fits perfectly in the backpack or backseat on long road trips.
- SAFETY GUARANTEED: Battery Management System (BMS) undertakes voltage control, temperature control and more advanced safety operations, ensuring complete protection for you and your devices.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: At Paxcess, your satisfaction is our first priority, that's why we offer you 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase within 45 days, you can return with 100% money back. No hassles, no question asked. If your generator failed within 1 year time, we will send you brand new replacement. 100% Risk Free.
- VERSATILE & PORTABLE POWER SOURCE: comes with 3*100V/110V AC outlets (300W Pure Sine Power Inverter), 4*DC outlets (a extra cigarette socket cable), 4*USB ports. It can charge USB/5V, DC/12V and AC appliance anywhere
- On-the-Go Power Source: 200Wh powerful charging station for camping or emergency backup; probably the most compact power station with a size of 9.1*4.3*5.2 inch, and the weight is only 5.2 lbs
- Pure sine wave: Better than modified sine wave, high efficiency, high frequency, stable technology, suitable for all kinds of load, can be connected to many electrical equipments and no interference.
- With 3 Ways Input Charging- Home wall AC outlet power,Car cigarette DC 12V/24V power and 18v 100W solar power panel（Separately)
- What You Get:300W Portable Generator,AC Adapter,Car Charging Cable,DC Cable,MC4 Solar Connector Cable,User Manual along with our 18-month warranty and friendly&easy-to-reach customer service.
- AIMTOM SPS-155 GENERATOR, POWER YOUR LIFE: The AIMTOM SPS-155 Portable Generator is a perfect portable power solution, with 42000mAh larger power capacity, whether you are looking for an emergency power supply for your home or you need to power a campsite, tailgate party, or your latest home improvement project.
- POWERFUL AC/USB/DC OUTPUTS & MULTIPLE RECHARGING: Power Source with 110V/ 100W AC outlets provide power for small home appliances (max 100W), laptops, CPAP etc; 3* 5V USB output for phones, iPad, gps, mp3, camera, rc helicopter etc; 3* 12V DC output (max 180W, with an cigarette socket) for car devices and more. 3 Ways Recharging support solar panel (Not included), car charger and AC wall charger.
- HIGH CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT LITHIUM POWER PACK: The solar power station with 42000mAh 155WH large capacity is only 3.48LB with an easy-carry handle. Designed to be a travel-friendly power station for powering up most devices less than 180 watts, very lightweight and compact, easy to take around when you go around to put into your bag. Take and use it pretty much anywhere.
- QUIET SILENT GENERATOR: This power source was build-in power inverter, it runs super quiet, silent when you use in the night. Extremely quiet operation is comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- SAFETY GUARANTEED AND WARRANTY: Battery Management System (BMS) prevent over-current, over-voltage and over-temperature, prolong battery life, ensuring ultra-safety for you and your devices; Solar charging with MPPT; Built-in cooling fan to avoid over-heating when charging; It can also works as a torch/SOS for emergency lighting; 12 months warranty and Aintek Support Team lifelong friendly customer service.
- UPGRADED 250-WATT POWERFUL AC, USB ADN 12V OUPUTS: Comparing similar battery powered generators, Rockpals portable generator has upgraded the AC output to 250W continuous (300W surge max) dual AC outputs, built-in 2x USB 2.1A and 4x DC 12V ports. Perfect emergency backup power for home/ travel/ camping, charging up your tablets, iPhone, iPad, laptops, fans, TV, lights and CPAP machine (*Use DC-DC converter from your CPAP would get longer hours)
- HIGH CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT LITHIUM POWER PACK: 222WH(3.7V 60Ah/12V 18.5Ah) lithium polymer batteries and weights 5.5lb. powerful enough to charge smartphones 25 times, laptops 3-5 times, 32" TVs 2-3 hours, mini-refrigerator or other small appliances, lights, and more (AC output). This solar generator is also very handy to be put on your RV, camper and perfect for emergencies, camping or wherever you need power
- EASILY RECHARGEABLE VIA THE SUN OR WALL: 1)The solar generator can be recharged from the sun with any compatible 50W or 100W solar panel (SOLD SEPARATELY). 2) This battery pack can be fully charged in 8 hours by being plugged into wall outlet.
- PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER: Better than modified sine wave and clean power like utility supplied electricity. Inductive loads like microwaves and motors run faster, quieter and cooler. Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, fax and answering machines. And it is a gas-free source of portable power supply, it runs quiet (The cooling fan on the side of generator will make a slight sound when working), no exhaust fumes.
- WHAT YOU GET: Rockpals portable generator (222Wh Portable Power Supply), 6.5ft / 2m AC adapter, 3.3ft / 1m car charger cable, DC to Cig Socket adapter, user guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- Portable Solar Generator Kit: A rechargeable & replaceable battery solar generator system with solar panels, storage solar generator power to battery and supply power to LED light and mobile phone. Widely applicable to home, camping, rv.
- Multiple Outports: 6 watt 6V solar panel, 9Ah 3.7V battery, 2 USB 5V DC Output for your tablets, iPhone, iPad, usb fans and small TV charged up, or lights. 4 Ports 3.7 V output to LED light.
- Compact: portable, small size, outdoor.6.9*6.5*3.0 inch, weight:3.3Lb(4.2Lb with all accessories). Widely applicable to camping, hiking, fishing, expedition, hunting, outdoor activities and home as emergency power supply.2 way charging- by solar energy, or by AC Power.
- Durable: Use rechargeable & replaceable battery and high quality solar panels, with lifetime more than 10000h.
- Package content: 1* Portable Power Generator ,1* Solar panel,5* Rechargeable battery,1* Power cable,1* Multi function USB cable,3* LED Lamps,1* Remote Control,1* User Manual.
- The Phoenix is an all-in-one portable solar power system specifically designed for mobile, off-grid applications and is ideal for emergencies
- This compact, lightweight back-up system combines highly efficient Renogy 20W Monocrystalline Solar Panels and can expand up to 100 watts with additional PVs
- The Phoenix can be charged by solar, AC power, or car power and comes with a 16Ah Li-ion(NMC) battery
- The included 16Ah Li-ion(NMC) battery , giving the capability of limitless power
- Minimum Inverter Efficiency: 80 percentage, Max Continuous Output Power: 150W, Output AC Frequency: 60 Hz
- UPGRADE --- Comparing to other similar style, this Power Station is with larger power capacity 288Wh rather than 200Wh, built-in more USB and DC ports. Perfect emergency power generator for home/ travel/ camping/ CPAP machine (Use DC-DC converter from your CPAP would get longer hours)/ RC helicopter/ Laptop/ Phones/ Lights all electronic devices.
- EASILY RECHARGEABLE VIA SUN,WALL OUTLET AND CAR --- Charged by solar panel(13V-24V,solar charger cable sold separately) Charged by wall outlet(7-8 hours fully charged, power adapter included) Charged by car 12V adapter(car charger included). Easy and Fast! Kindly Notice: The solar panel is not included with the generator, you need to buy separately!
- On Line UPS -- Battery power supply surge protection for desktop pc,workstations,networking devices and home entertainment systems.Safeguards valuable documents, photos, videos,and music files, playstation from loss or damage due to power outage.
- Versatile Outputs and Mini Size -- Pure-sine wave inverter,3 three-prong 110V receptacles (for devices up to 500Watt/0.67Hp) ,4 DC 12V ports ,4 USB ports ,1W Led flashlight,Car emergency jump starter,emergency power generator around you!Just weight 7LB!
- Safety Guaranteed and Warranty -- Battery Management System (BMS) Provide short circuit, Overcharger Overload protection, environmental protection, energy saving and fire-proof ABS materia.Our worry-free 12-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- QUALITY LITHIUM BATTERY- The generator stores energy in a high-quality grade A Lithium battery. This power pack is compatible to most of the medium and small-sized devices such as smartphones, lamps, tablets, and laptops for extremely long hours with just a single charge. The built-in Battery Management System, which is regulated by a smart power control processor, helps to improve performance and to prevent overcurrent, over power as well as low voltage and short-circuit protection.
- RECHARGE BY WALL, CAR OR SUN - Quick and easy recharge from your home via the standard AC wall plug (charge time 7 hours) or charge up your generator while on the road with the use of a 12V car outlet (8 hours). Alternatively receive your power directly from the sun with the use of a solar panel (solar panel sold separately). There are 7 outlet ports catering to all your charging needs which are delivered through 2x USB ports, 2x AC ports and 3x 12V DC ports.
- WASSERSTEIN SAVINGS - Realize huge savings when you buy our Portable Solar Generator in conjunction with our 21W 5V High Efficiency Solar Charger (ASIN: B0756WS52X) - Use the discount code ''FastChar' at checkout.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATION - Capacity: 40,800mAh, 3.7V /150Wh, Dimensions: 165 x 80 x 175mm, Weight: 1.5 kg, Built-in Battery: High Quality Lithium-ion Batteries, Charging Input: DC13~22V/2A, Output: USB 5V-3.1A (Max), DC 9-12.6V/10A, AC Output: 100W, Dual Modified Wave Output. With 2 Versions: 220/110V, Operation temperature: -10°C to 40°C. Package includes: 1 x Portable Solar Generator, 1 x Power Adapter, 1x Cigarette Light Adapter, 1x Car Charger, 1 x User Manual.
- PORTABLE POWER SUPPLY - The portable solar battery functions not only as an emergency power source for unexpected outages but it is also a must-have companion during long camping trips and other outdoor events. At just 3.3lb (1.5kg) this battery is the perfect combination of form, function, & mobility. With a sturdy handle for easy transportation and a strong plastic casing made to withstand rough usage, it offers a clean and simple solution to powering all your essential devices on the go.
- 168Wh lead acid battery portable power station can power up to 5 devices at once (14Ah @12V)
- Continuous 80W, 160W surge modified-sine wave inverter, 2.1A USB ports, 120W 12V ports
- Charge phones, tablets, cameras, tablets, and other small devices
- Recharges from AC, 12V or solar panels (sold separately)
- Designed and engineered by power station experts with a US-based customer service center
Now that you are educated and have a good idea about “how does a solar generator work ?, there is a lot more you can do with solar. Check out these articles. Thank you for visiting MySolarHome.us.
Last update on 2018-06-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API