Solar Electric Fence – Green and Economical
Are you looking for an easy, effective (and affordable) way to keep your property safe and secure? If so, you should absolutely consider installing a solar electric fence.
Not only is this option affordable and easy to install, but it’s the future of fencing, offers sustainability, and is and far more reliable than electric grid fence options.
Are you wondering how a solar powered fence works or how to install it? Worry not! In this article, we’re breaking down everything you need to know about solar-charged fences, so you can set up your own in no time.
How Does a Solar Electric Fence Work?
Like a standard electric fence, a solar-powered electric fence uses shock energy against anything that comes in contact with the fence. Unlike normal electric fences or battery-powered fences, however, these fences use a different type of energy to power them.
These fence charges use a small solar photovoltaic (PV) panel to gather and convert sunlight into energy, which is then housed inside the battery to charge the fence.
When something comes in contact with the charged fence, they’ll receive a sharp and short electric shock. This shock doesn’t cause any physical damage, and is meant more as a method of conditioning for keeping people or animals away from the fence.
How to Install a Solar Powered Electric Fence?
In this article, we’ll be outlining basic practices and tips for fence installation. As always, you should still follow the instructions outlined in the manufacturer’s installation guide, and make sure you’re complying with all state and county regulations regarding the use of your fence.
In some states or cities, you may even be required to put signs with distinctive warnings of a fence on your property.
With that being said, here are the installation steps you need to take for your new fence.
The first thing you need to do is purchase a post hole digger to dig a hole for a corner post or end of the fence. You should dig two feet tip, insert the post, and then fill the hole with dry cement to keep the post in place.
Then use a level to make sure make everything is level in all directions.
From there, run a string from this post to the next corner, and install the next post. This string will help you line up all the other posts of the fence. Just remember to let the posts set for 24 to 48 hours so that the cement will harden and keep the fence firm.
Install Wire & Charging Unit
Once you’ve installed the posts, run your wire from the corner post all the way around the other posts. Use insulators and tensioners to keep everything firm and secure.
After this, you’ll need to install a charging unit to make sure your fence is absorbing energy correctly. To install it, dig another post hole near a corner of the fence, outside of the perimeter. This spot needs to be somewhere with plenty of sunlight, and it should face south.
Once you’ve installed the post, mount the solar charging unit on top of the post. You’ll need to dig a shallow trench by the post and place the right number of ground rods for your fence. The secure the negative lead from the solar charger to the ground rods and the positive lead to the wire of the fence for proper installation.
You’ll need to wait at least 24 hours for your fence to charge and become fully energized. Once you’ve done this, switch your fest on! Just make to test it regularly with an electric fence tester to make sure everything is working properly.
Final Thoughts on Installing Solar-Powered Fences
As you can see from the installation tips above, installing a solar electric fence is easy! This fence option is affordable, easy to maintain, and makes keeping your property safe easier than ever. There’s no reason you shouldn’t install one!
Best Solar Electric Fences as seen on Amazon
- Zareba’s Solar-powered fence charger for an electric-fencing system
- This Solar Fencing solution has a 30-mile range without weeds
- The Fence will be electrified day and night for up to 2 weeks even without sunlight thanks to low impedance technology
- Equipped with two 6 volt batteries and color-coded terminals. A Fence is electrified Indicator Light
- Size 17.5 x 12.2 x 10.7 inches. The unit has a standard 2-year warranty
- 5-mile range
- For use with small animals and pets (limited cattle & horse applications)
- 6-volt battery (included)
- Built-in mound fits T-posts, round & wood posts, Y-posts & flat surfaces
- Solar-powered electric fencer, lowimpedance and features exclusive built-in performance meter
- Shocks through wet weeds and brush - for livestock control - small to medium size pastures
- Charges up to 25 miles of fence- 1.4 joules Solar/Battery operate
- Made in USA
- Powerful low impedance design
- Exclusive built-in performance meter
- Powerful solar panel
- Will operate for 21 days in total darkness
- Weatherproof, outdoor model
- 10-mile range; Steel Wire: 10 miles (no weeds),5 miles (light weeds) Polywire: 5 miles (no weeds), 2.5 miles (light weeds) .
- 6-volt, 12-amp battery, 0.15-joule output
- Reliable solar power operates up to two weeks without sunlight
- Fast installation on T-posts, round wood posts, Y-posts, buildings and flat surfaces with unique, integrated mount
- At-a-glance indicator light flashes when energy is on the fence
- The sun`s energy charges the fencer by day and a sealed 12-volt rechargeable battery powers the fencer at night. Battery included.
- Low impedance for maximum power, longer life
- Charges up to 30 miles of fence - 3.1+ joules
- Weatherproof, portable outdoor model
- Ideal for large pastures
- No load voltage = 7,400
- 500 ohm load voltage = 2,600
- 1 year full replacement warranty
- Main color is black
- Set includes 1 Patriot Electric Fence Charger plus 1 250ft spool of Patriot Made in the USA 17 Gauge aluminum wire and Quick Tip Guide
- PE2 Output Voltage: Up to 5 kV max, 2.8 kV @ 500 ohms;Patriot Wire tensile strength 38,000 PSI; Fi-Shock Breaking load: 90 lbs; Fi-Shock aluminum wire Will not rust; Will Keep Dogs from Digging Out of Their Pen; Keep Rabbits and Deer Out of Your Garden; For Use as an Electric Dog Fence
- The ground system should be at least 33' (10 m) away from electric or telephone ground systems to avoid interference.
- Moist soil conducts electricity much better than dry soil. If possible, locate the ground system in a boggy area. In dry weather, wet the area around the ground system to keep the soil moist.
- Make sure there are a sufficient number of ground rods. See your charger's user manual for recommendations. If in doubt, use at least three ground rods. Use more ground rods if your soil conditions are not ideal. Ground rods should be at least 6'6" (2 m) long. One long ground rod works better than several short ground rods.
- 2 mile range under ideal conditions
- Input Voltage: 4 VDC,.02 A; Output Voltage: 8 KV +/- 20% open circuit voltage
- Low-impedance technology - less drain on the battery
- Solar panel features compartmental damage-resistant construction
- Resists shorts when the fence is in contact with weeds
- Netting is 164' per roll. Vertical plastic struts reduce fence sagging between fence posts. Multiple rolls of netting may be connected together.
- Works well in containing sheep, goats and guard dogs, while repelling coyotes, stray dogs and bears.
- Much lower electrical resistance than most electric netting fence due to the tinned copper super conductor. ElectroStop has only 38 ohms of resistance versus 380 ohms for normal stainless steel conductor electric net fence. Important to perform routine vegetation maintenance to minimize grass/weed load on the fence and reduce energy drain.
- Very easy to setup and move. Takes approximately 10 minutes to setup a roll of netting.
- FENCE MUST BE PROPERLY ENERGIZED TO BE EFFECTIVE. Energizer is not included. Recommend approximately .25 joule of energizer per roll of fence. Use only low or wide impedance intermittent pulse energizers. Warning! Do NOT use continuous current energizers with electric netting. For optimum results, we recommend using a Premier Solar or AC/DC energizer that fits your specific needs.
- Portable all-in-one 0.30 joule solar energizer unit arrives ready to power electric fence or netting. Included step-in ground stake can also be used to support the energizer.
- Solar panel is easy to adjust for seasonal light availability. Large capacity battery for increased life during long periods with low sunlight.
- IntelliShock electric fence chargers are able to reduce energy demand when the fence's voltage is high-due to fewer weeds touching the fence.
- Kit includes a 5-light wireless fence tester along with a 0.30 joule fence energizer with 12V/12AH sealed lead acid battery, wiring harness, 5 watt solar panel with preset tilt angles, 110V battery recharger, U-Spike ground stake (combination ground rod and support stand), overcharge regulator, UV-treated polycarbonate case with yellow handle.
- 2 year warranty on energizer and solar panel covers lightning, defective parts or workmanship. 30 day warranty for all batteries. Warranty does not cover misuse or flood damage.
Are you looking to use more eco-friendly products? Check us out to shop for indoors solar lights and more!
Last update on 2018-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API